The First Time I Played A Timmy

Posted · 11 Comments

Last night I was able to steal some time in between work and friends to play the Timmy. I didn’t really know what to expect. I heard so much hype about the Timmy before I ordered one and even more after, I was afraid I was going to be disappointed. You know, like when Star Wars Episode One came. You wait in line for hours then you see the movie and the only thing that comes to mind during the poor dialog and slow moving plot is all the things you could have gotten done instead of being in line.

I didn’t have time to set up my board; I didn’t even have time to get my guitar. Just Q’s Eric Johnson Strat through the Timmy through the Mesa Lonestar Special. No delays at all; already it’s not looking good for the Timmy.

Plugged everything in, turned the standby switch to “On,” pressed on the true-bypass switch to reveal a shiny blue LED and let a monstrous D chord ring out.

My life was changed.

I will save more detailed descriptions for a Pedal Profile but I loved what I heard. It lives up to all the hype. I almost forgot about the friends I was suppose to meet.

Needless to say I put Velcro on this pedal as soon as I could and it is sitting proudly on my board, where it will stay for quite some time.

My conclusion is: if you don’t have one, get one.

Keep sharp,

-Jed

11 Responses to "The First Time I Played A Timmy"
  1. rhoy says:

it’s that good, huh. i’ve been meaning to get one but i don’t like to be bothered by being on a waiting list. i guess, this is the one that is really worth it … now, you’re making me GAS so much!!! hehe

2. Jed says:

Lol. You really do need to sign up for one and then just forget about. That way when Paul calls you up and says it’s done, it feels like Christmas…even though your paying for it.

3. Larry says:

heh, when I got the Tim it was pretty nice too! I think it was special…. however, with my amp, the Zendrive gets more play.

But its a perfect dirty boost etc… Definitely on my ‘keep list’ haha.

4. JeffT says:

Congratulations!

I gotta tell you, the TIM is a fixture on my board and the 2nd channel on the TIM is more than worth the extra cash (I’ve owned Timmy as well).

I just did a shootout between my TIM, OCD (v4), Keeley Sparkle Drive, and a Maxon VOP-9 and the TIM was so much better is ridiculous. It has none of its own “color” – it’s your guitar, your amp, your tone – just… better.

5. Chad says:

Can’t wait for my Timmy! Ordered it late November, should be here soon. Will be a real upgrade from my current Bad Monkey!
    Oh, and how did it sound good with no delay? Is it possible? 😛

6. Jed says:

Larry-I does seem like the perfect little dirty boost. At the moment I’m actually playing a Suhr Riot more than the Zendrive. I think its just a phase. The Riot is the newer pedal so we are kinda still in the honeymoon stage of our relationship.

What amp are you playing through? Is it a 6V6 or 6L6 amp?

Jeff-Thanks man. The only reasons why I didn’t get a Tim was for lack of space on my board and knob reduction (to many knobs are the motherboard known as my brain crashes). I tried to convince Q to get the Tim, but then he had it in his mind that we was going to fit 16 pedals on a pedaltrain mini. So much for that.

If you have that shoot out on Youtube feel free to post a link. That would be sweet to see.

Chad-Before I played the Timmy I didn’t think it was. From what I have heard, even Dumbles lack good tone with at least a Memory Man plugged in. I know it sounds like I’m crazy, but even without delay it will blow your mind.

7. Quentin says:

i would like to say i will most likely have 6-8 pedals on the mini :-) If I could fit 16 on a mini, i definitely would.

8. Jed says:

I think you should go for a record. Either way, board is going to be crowded.

9. Quentin says:

i think a better way to describe it is that it will be “an intimate garthering of pedal” as opposed to crowded.

10. Larry says:

Jed: yeah, I use a 6v6… and it just responds better to the Zendrive. However, I was playing through a Fender Blues Jr (EL84) and the Tim was a nice touch… definitely had a different quality on that amp than my 6v6.

I like the Tim on the 6v6, but several other drives just sound better. Still, its on my ‘keep’ list.
    I actually am trading my Sunday worship duties between the Zen and King of Tonev4. The KOT just impresses me with how ‘clean’ then ‘overdriven’ it sounds, all depending on your dynamics. A bit ruder than the Zen, but still smooth…..

11. Jed says:

Q-whatever…

My experience is that “D” style pedals don’t respond as well to el-84s compared to 6v6 or 6l6s. I don’t know what is going on there. The Timmy seems to shine with el-84s.